Mommy said I hate using my hands. When Mom gives me something to hold with my fingers, I always just toss them away and make them scatter all over. Who could blame me when my fingers are so limp and droopy. I have a hard time using them because I cannot control them properly and they feel as if they're asleep all the time!
One day, Mom gave me crackers to eat. Instead of feeding me directly through my mouth, she placed it in my hand and encouraged me to feed myself! It was hard and it's still is. I dropped the cracker so many times before I finally got to bite it! But even though it was hard, I did not seem to mind since I love eating crackers so much!
Mom said feeding myself is one big step to independence. Eating crackers also helps me strengthen my hand and finger muscles! It also challenges my problem solving abilities as I figure out how to move my fingers and hold the cracker as it gets smaller and smaller every time I bite into it. Plus, it helps me improve my oral motor skills as lick, bite, chew, crunch, and feel the different textures scattered inside and around my mouth.
Anybody want to have a cracker?
Yum Yum!
Mattie
Note: Please make sure that your babies are developmentally ready to handle these types of solid food. A lot of times children with down syndrome take a longer time in developing oral motor skills - they may have difficulty in chewing, swallowing and may have sensory issues due to low muscle tone. Also make sure that crackers or food you give to your babies are soft and will break into very small pieces in order to avoid any danger of choking.





it seems we have the same way of eating crackers and cookies, Mattie!.... at first I almost cried to have even 1 bite, but my mommy let me to do it myself, and now, I almost ate a pack of eat! let's rock on, Mattie! (munch munch!!) :)
ReplyDelete